Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Eiffel Tower Ice Skating

Nope it's not another clever post name, I did it!
The Eiffel Tower is a lot bigger than I thought it would be but smaller than I last remember it from Summer 2008.
The million and a half African and Arabic men selling illegal mini sculptures that lit up in neon colors made the experience a little less magical...but only a very little, tiny one inch Eiffel Tower little.
It was a very eerie night, there was a fog and several times I thought it was raining, but it never did. As we took the elevator up to the second story, my breath was promptly taken away by a spectacular, but very surreal view of Paris. Then the tower lit up and 20,000 lights bulbs sparkled and turned the Eiffel Tower into a dream.
We walked around the whole second floor and I kept thinking of all the amazing people who must've come here, and the marriages that started here, and the artist's who've been inspired here, but when I tried to think of actual names (you know, Rush Hour 3, A View to Kill, French Kiss, Billie Holiday, Josephine Baker, etc...) all I could think was "I bet Beyonce's been up here" , how embarrassing.
On the first floor there was a free ice skating rink, it was tiny and filled with some French under-twenty-too young to be mature football team, but it was still so much fun and I am a surprisingly good skater for not having done it in fourteen years.

How I felt:

I watched the movie "It's Kind of a Funny Story" and in it the boy draws imaginary maps and some of the maps represent people and the insides of their heads. This picture reminded me a little of that. I want to meet whoever this is:
My partner in exploration Nicole and I (that crazy look in my eye, it's been there for awhile. And I wonder why I haven't made very many friends here yet.):
Needless to say, this was an experience I don't think I'll ever forget.

1 comment:

  1. LOL I love your blogs! They give me something else to do other than homework given the fact I can't do much as I'm on crutches. Your whole Beyonce comment really made me laugh! But at least you know that that comment is embarrassing and you aren't afraid to say it! ha ha

    ReplyDelete